The aim of this course is aligned with that of the CXC CAPE syllabus.
The syllabus aims to:
1. develop an awareness and appreciation of aspects of the cultural and historical contexts of Caribbean society;
2. develop an understanding of a variety of registers in the spoken and written forms of Spanish;
3. enable students to communicate clearly and appropriately in Spanish with an educated native speaker;
4. acquire skills necessary for collection, analysis and exchange of information, ideas and opinions in Spanish;
5. enhance students' linguistic skills through the study of written discourse;
6. promote the study of modern Hispanic authors to acquire knowledge of contemporary society and institutions and encourage openness to life and culture in countries where Spanish is spoken;
7. encourage the development of techniques of literary analysis.